Galaxy And Mass Assembly (GAMA): ugrizYJHK Sérsic luminosity functions and the cosmic spectral energy distribution by Hubble type
Kelvin, L.S.; Driver, S.P.; Robotham, A.S.G.; Graham, A.W.; Phillipps, S.; Agius, N.K.; Alpaslan, M.; Baldry, I.; Bamford, S.P.; Bland-Hawthorn, J.; Brough, S.; Brown, M.J.I.; Colless, M.; Conselice, C.J.; Hopkins, A.M.; Liske, J.; Loveday, J.; Norberg, P.; Pimbblet, K.A.; Popescu, C.C.; Prescott, M.; Taylor, E.N.; Tuffs, R.J.
Professor Peder Norberg firstname.lastname@example.org
We report the morphological classification of 3727 galaxies from the Galaxy and Mass Assembly survey with Mr < −17.4 mag and in the redshift range 0.025 < z < 0.06 (2.1 × 105 Mpc3) into E, S0-Sa, SB0-SBa, Sab-Scd, SBab-SBcd, Sd-Irr and little blue spheroid classes. Approximately 70 per cent of galaxies in our sample are disc-dominated systems, with the remaining ∼30 per cent spheroid dominated. We establish the robustness of our classifications, and use them to derive morphological-type luminosity functions and luminosity densities in the ugrizYJHK passbands, improving on prior studies that split by global colour or light profile shape alone. We find that the total galaxy luminosity function is best described by a double-Schechter function while the constituent morphological-type luminosity functions are well described by a single-Schechter function. These data are also used to derive the star formation rate densities for each Hubble class, and the attenuated and unattenuated (corrected for dust) cosmic spectral energy distributions, i.e. the instantaneous energy production budget. While the observed optical/near-IR energy budget is dominated 58:42 by galaxies with a significant spheroidal component, the actual energy production rate is reversed, i.e. the combined disc-dominated populations generate ∼1.3 times as much energy as the spheroid-dominated populations. On the grandest scale, this implies that chemical evolution in the local Universe is currently largely confined to mid-type spiral classes like our Milky Way.
Kelvin, L., Driver, S., Robotham, A., Graham, A., Phillipps, S., Agius, N., …Tuffs, R. (2014). Galaxy And Mass Assembly (GAMA): ugrizYJHK Sérsic luminosity functions and the cosmic spectral energy distribution by Hubble type. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 439(2), 1245-1269. https://doi.org/10.1093/mnras/stt2391
|Journal Article Type||Article|
|Publication Date||Apr 1, 2014|
|Deposit Date||Jun 3, 2014|
|Publicly Available Date||Jul 3, 2014|
|Journal||Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society|
|Publisher||Royal Astronomical Society|
|Peer Reviewed||Peer Reviewed|
|Keywords||Galaxies: elliptical and lenticular, cD, Galaxies: fundamental parameters, Galaxies: luminosity function, Mass function, Galaxies: spiral.|
Published Journal Article
This article has been accepted for publication in Monthly notices of the Royal Astronomical Society © 2014 The Authors Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of Royal Astronomical Society. All rights reserved.
You might also like
A sparse regression approach for populating dark matter haloes and subhaloes with galaxies
Solving small-scale clustering problems in approximate light-cone mocks
Making use of sub-resolution haloes in N-body simulations