Skip to main content

Research Repository

Advanced Search

Multiwavelength Study of Equatorial Coronal-hole Jets

Kumar, Pankaj; Karpen, Judith T.; Antiochos, Spiro K.; Wyper, Peter F.; DeVore, C. Richard; DeForest, Craig E.

Multiwavelength Study of Equatorial Coronal-hole Jets Thumbnail


Pankaj Kumar

Judith T. Karpen

Spiro K. Antiochos

C. Richard DeVore

Craig E. DeForest


Jets (transient/collimated plasma ejections) occur frequently throughout the solar corona and contribute mass/energy to the corona and solar wind. By combining numerical simulations and high-resolution observations, we have made substantial progress recently on determining the energy buildup and release processes in these jets. Here we describe a study of 27 equatorial coronal-hole jets using Solar Dynamics Observatory/Atmospheric Imaging Assembly and Helioseismic and Magnetic Imager observations on 2013 June 27–28 and 2014 January 8–10. Out of 27 jets, 18 (67%) are associated with mini-filament ejections; the other nine (33%) do not show mini-filament eruptions but do exhibit mini-flare arcades and other eruptive signatures. This indicates that every jet in our sample involved a filament-channel eruption. From the complete set of events, six jets (22%) are apparently associated with tiny flux-cancellation events at the polarity inversion line, and two jets (7%) are associated with sympathetic eruptions of filaments from neighboring bright points. Potential-field extrapolations of the source-region photospheric magnetic fields reveal that all jets originated in the fan-spine topology of an embedded bipole associated with an extreme ultraviolet coronal bright point. Hence, all our jets are in agreement with the breakout model of solar eruptions. We present selected examples and discuss the implications for the jet energy buildup and initiation mechanisms.


Kumar, P., Karpen, J. T., Antiochos, S. K., Wyper, P. F., DeVore, C. R., & DeForest, C. E. (2019). Multiwavelength Study of Equatorial Coronal-hole Jets. Astrophysical Journal, 873(1), Article 93.

Journal Article Type Article
Acceptance Date Jan 20, 2019
Online Publication Date Mar 7, 2019
Publication Date May 1, 2019
Deposit Date Mar 19, 2019
Publicly Available Date Mar 21, 2019
Journal Astrophysical Journal
Print ISSN 0004-637X
Electronic ISSN 1538-4357
Publisher American Astronomical Society
Peer Reviewed Peer Reviewed
Volume 873
Issue 1
Article Number 93


Published Journal Article (5.9 Mb)

Copyright Statement
© 2019. The American Astronomical Society. All rights reserved.

You might also like

Downloadable Citations